Welcome to Highlands Ranch, Colorado!
As the local government in our community, the Highlands Ranch Metro District’s Board of Directors is comprised of seven elected board members who represent the citizens of Highlands Ranch.
Highlands Ranch is a 22,000-acre master-planned community founded in 1981. The community has a population of 93,000 people. Highlands Ranch is located 12 miles south of Denver in Douglas County and offers a wonderful quality of life and opportunities for an active lifestyle.
Highlands Ranch has received national recognition for its great quality of life and amenities. Our community has been recognized by Money Magazine as One of the Best Places to Live, ranking 21st among the top 100 communities recognized. Highlands Ranch was also recognized nationally by Forbes as one of the top places to move in the nation. Business Week also named Highlands Ranch one of the best places to raise kids.
The Metro District is committed to providing quality municipal services while managing resources wisely for Highlands Ranch.
The Metro District’s Municipal Services
- Construction of major roads
- Installation and maintenance of landscaping and fences adjacent to major roads
- Installation of traffic signals and street lights on major roads
- Construction and maintenance of parks and trails
- Youth and adult outdoor recreation and sports programs
- Management and maintenance of extensive natural open space areas
- Construction of storm drainage facilities
- Emergency and fire protection services through a contract with the City of Littleton
- Water and wastewater services through a contract with Centennial Water & Sanitation District
- Operation of the Highlands Ranch Mansion